Foodiva's Kitchen: French Fridays with Dorie - Olive Oil Ice Cream Tart with a Quinoa Crust

Friday, June 8, 2012

French Fridays with Dorie - Olive Oil Ice Cream Tart with a Quinoa Crust

Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone. 

~ Mitch Albom

Both my parents hail from big families, with at least 10 siblings on either side. I therefore grew up surrounded by as much love as there was chaos and drama. When our massive family gets together a few times every year - up to 4 generations of individuals bearing similar genes -  we always needed to prepare food and anecdotes to entertain around 250 people! Ours is very much a matriarchal family, with my grandmothers acting as the glue that holds every one of us close together. 

I am dedicating this week's French Fridays With Dorie post to my beloved grandmother (my father's mom) who had left us for good last Monday. The past two weeks was hard on all of us because she had become very ill over that period of time. Except for my 5-Star Restaurant Wars commitment, blogging had been relegated to the back of my mind as I'd wanted to savor every moment that I could spend with my grandmother. She was was my confidante, my best friend since birth and she was unconditional love personified. Although I truly miss her physical presence, I am comforted by the fact that she is now at peace and that she will always be by my side no matter what.

Our last picture together.


So back to this week's Olive Oil Ice Cream. In all honesty, I forgot that this was the week for this recipe - okay, I also forgot today was Friday - until I saw my fellow Dorista, Patty, post something about her ice cream on Instagram. I was curious about the use of olive oil in ice cream and wondered how different it would be compared to regular custard only ice cream. Patty (sorry to keep using you as a reference point) also made a rustic apricot pie to go with her ice cream and that inspired me to want to make something else to go with my ice cream too. I just couldn't figure out what.... drew a complete blank, nada. While I was busy staring into space for inspiration, this packet of quinoa was staring back at me from the kitchen counter. Hmm...would quinoa make a good crust? Well, I decided to put it to the test, and lo and behold, it did make a good crust! It was pretty easy to make too, which was a real bonus.


To make two 3-inch tarts, I simply boiled 1/4 cup of mixed quinoa (mine was red, black and plain) and added a tablespoon of flaxseed meal to it while still hot and moist. The flaxseed becomes sticky and hence acts like a 'glue' binding the quinoa grains together. I then pressed the mixture into the base and sides of a mini-tart pan and left the crust to cool down completely while I made the ice cream. You can chill the crust in the fridge or freezer to firm it up further.

The plain nuttiness of the quinoa and flaxseed played off well against the sweetness of the ice cream. What I also loved was the contrast in textures, the silky smoothness of the ice cream versus the gentle chewiness of the grains. It felt like there was a micro-party going on inside my mouth while I ate this ice cream. Oh, those red hearts made from raspberry puree? They're for you, grandma. May your strength and love continue to live in all of us.


As I said, last week was a pretty intense time for me and my family. Despite that, I did manage to carry out last week's assignment of Lentil, Lemon and Tuna Salad. The intention to participate was there but my heavy heart just couldn't think of anything pleasant or engaging to write in a post to go with my dish. So I'm now taking the opportunity to share my pictures from last week in this post. I hope this doesn't turn into a  'two-in-one' habit...

I made a few adjustments to Dorie's recipe: I used yellow lentils instead of lentils du Puy, cilantro instead of scallions, lemon juice in place of preserved lemon and black rice vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. In spite of the changes, this dish tasted great and it's something I'd like to make again. And again :). I served mine wrapped in lettuce leaves and although it looked like a light meal, the lentils still managed to fill me up.

I'm pretty sure the FFWD site has been turned into an enticing ice cream parlor this week thanks to everyone's participation. If you'd like to have a virtual taste, head on over here.

Hope you all have a beautiful, sunny weekend :).

44 comments:

Ei said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, Maya! That's a lovely final picture. It deserves a frame. I hope that having so much family around helps you heal.

Your ice cream cake looks bizarre and intriguing. I would never have thought to make a quinoa crust. Never.

Cher Rockwell said...

Oh, Maya. So sorry to hear about your loss :-( Hugs.

Your tart is amazing. I need to remember that quinoa crust. I am sure it has quite a few application yet to be determined...

Unknown said...

Ei, thank you for your kindest words. I'm faring better than I'd expected with our loss, probably because I was mentally prepared to let her go. And I was glad I spent so much time at the hospital just holding her, the thought of that also helps me heal.

As for bizarre, I think my parents should've made that my second name. I had never thought to make a quinoa crust before either, until that is, this afternoon!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Cher. You're comforting just turning up here every time I post (which makes me feel guilty that I don't do the same over at your blog!). You're right about that quinoa crust, I can't wait to make savory stuff with it next!

cakewhiz said...

i am sorry to hear about your grandmother...hang in there :)

this tart looks amazing! and that crust is so different than my usual graham cracker crust...i will try to make that soon!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Abeer@Cakewhiz. I'm amazed at your body of work, you're such a major talent that I feel honored you liked my very humble and simplistic quinoa crust. Wow!

RavieNomNoms said...

Well I have to say, that is one of the most interesting tarts I have ever seen. I have never seen quinoa used this way

Unknown said...

Ravie, neither have I! LOL. Many thanks :)

Unknown said...

Ravie, PS. I just googled up quinoa crust and there are loads of versions around using quinoa flour. I didn't even know quinoa flour existed, it's certainly not sold here! How absolutely hilarious!

Unknown said...

I'm also very sorry about your beloved grandmother and send you and your family all my best wishes.
Your use of the olive oil ice cream is very fun and exciting, such a lovely post;-)

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Maya, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother! I just love the last picture that you posted, it actually looks comforting and calm...

Your ice cream tart certainly looks very creative and unique and your lentil salad tasted probably as delicious as it looks - it is nice that you found the time to prepare these dishes and post about them!

Take good care of yourself!

Gloria Baker said...

Maya so sorry about your loss :(
your tart look amazing!

Mardi Michels said...

Maya - so sorry to hear about your grandmother but that last picture is priceless. It's so beautiful. What a lovely tribute. And you're always so creative. Sending you hugs XO

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef said...

How sad to hear about your grandmother. That last photo brought goosebumps and tears. Poor thing.

This is such an innovative tart.. I love it.

Take care of yourself.

Beth Michelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I lost mine this year too and it's always hard to loose someone so close to you. The last photo of you two is just beautiful!!! Thoughts are with you.
Your ice cream tart is so unique and beautiful! I would never have thought to make a quinoa crust and pair it with ice cream!!

Rose said...

Maya, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman and I'm sure that a part of her will live on in you and your big beautiful family. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Vicki Bensinger said...

Maya the loss of your grandmother makes me cry. I lost mine many years ago but think of her often as we were very close. Your last photo is beautiful and tender one that will remain in your heart always. I am so sorry for your loss but you are fortunate to have wonderful memories of her.

Your version of Dorie's Olive Oil ice cream in a quinoa crust is brilliant. I've never made a quinoa crust and can only imagine the infinite possibilities with it.

I hope you have sunny days ahead!

Vicki

Adriana said...

I am very sorry for your loss, Maya. That picture of your hands together is a beautiful way to remember a woman that held and guided you through life.

The quinoa crust is inspired! I would have never come up with that on my own and love the idea. The lentil and tuna salad rolls look fantastic. I'll keep that in mind next time I make it, because there will be a next time.

Tasty Trix said...

That is a really beautiful last picture, Maya - I am so glad for you that you have it. It must be comforting, yes? You know, it was after my mom died that I really began cooking in earnest and I do feel that food, soulfully prepared, is such a soothing balm for a heavy heart. The hearts for your grandma are so sweet
Hugs xoxoxoxo

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Your picture is so sweet and I'm sure having that is such a gift. These are the kinds of things that I see and so wish I had that creativity when I was young. As a child I was just fascinated by my grandmother's hands ! I'm so sorry about your loss. For me, getting back to my kitchen helps me cope.

I just love your interpretation an the heart that you put into this one.

HUGS!

tricia s. said...

This was a beautiful and inspiring post. Thank you so much for sharing it. Will all going on in your life I can not believe you still managed to knock out such a creative rendition of this recipe- it is stunning. Clearly your Grandmother continues to inspire you and that is so, so lovely. I was also very touched by the photo of you holding hands. We so often take pictures of baby hands and feet, yet I never thought of this touching tribute. Love, love, love it. Be well my sympathies for your loss ~~

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Hi, Maya! Sorry to hear about your grandma. I, too, came from a large family that are mainly matriarchal since both grandfathers passed away early as well! My amah died in 2009 at age 99, and she had old age onset dementia before she passed. It was so hard for me because I grew up with her. My mom was never the "domesticated" type, so my grandma took care of me :) i love her so much and miss her every day...
Anyway, lovely cake!

Unknown said...

Maya, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. In my family too women are the glue that holds it all together...or keeps it apart. I'm sure she will be missed. Your ice cream tart looks beautiful. I've been reading about quinoa crusts lately. Glad to know its good.

Unknown said...

Maya, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. In my family too women are the glue that holds it all together...or keeps it apart. I'm sure she will be missed. Your ice cream tart looks beautiful. I've been reading about quinoa crusts lately. Glad to know its good.

Maggie said...

What a beautiful post. I'm so sorry for your loss. The quinoa sounds very interesting and kudos for coming up with something so creative at a tough time. You are a rock star!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

What a lovely post! So sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you had wonderful relationship and something to always cherish. This olive oil ice cream sounds divine and quite intriguing. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, but what a perfect tart to honor your grandmother with. I love the hearts! :)

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Sorry to hear about Grandma, I can relate to your void...
Take care :)

Kathy said...

Maya, So sorry to hear about your grandmother. How lucky you are to have had such an incredible, loving person in your life! Love your photo with your grandmother! So touching!
Your Olive Oil Ice Cream Tart looks so luscious…I will have to keep it in mind next time I make this wonderful treat! Absolutely beautiful!

Lilly said...

I’m so sorry for your loss Maya! Every time someone passes away it’s always way too early. I hope you have some great memories that will be with you forever. Hugs and take care!

Magic of Spice said...

I am so sorry for your loss...lovely tribute here.
The tart looks so pretty, and your salads look fantastic!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Maya. I lost my last grandparent a couple of years ago so now all I've got are the fond memories--so glad you have them, too, of your grandmother.

Love the tart!

Teresa said...

Condolences on the loss of your grandmother. I lost my final grandparent last year and it was difficult, even though I feel lucky to have had two grandparents for much longer than most folks I know.

Your ice cream tart is lovely and I especially like the idea of the quinoa crust. Nothing better than a snazzy gluten-free crust that appeals to everyone!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Maya, I'm truly sorry to hear about your grandma. Lately I hear about friends' loved ones passing away and I've been feeling a little uneasy worrying about my own family. You were very close to grandma and hope you continue to cherish your memories of time you spent with her. Lovely and creative tart, as always. Thinking of you!

Rowena | Apron and Sneakers said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Losing someone so dear to you is heartbreaking.

I love your tart.

Liren said...

Maya, there is nothing like the love of a grandmother, and I empathize with you keenly. It's times like this that the joy of having a large family really comes through, and I hope you all find comfort with each other. That photo of your hands holding is truly one to cherish, and I am sure she is smiling at those sweet raspberry hearts :) Hugs!

www.you-made-that.com said...

Maya, I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet grandmother. What a wonderful relationship you had with her and hopefully those memories will out weigh the sadness from her passing. I just love the photo of your hands that is so touching. You will be in my thoughts.

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

oh, Maya, so sorry to hear about your loss. just by reading this post one can tell how much she meant for you. Hopefully she's now in a good place, watching over your big family

Unknown said...

The tart looks so cool!

Anonymous said...

So, so gorgeous. You make me want to eat

Gina said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Maya. I'm also sorry I've been absent lately too, I'm moving my daughter this weekend and if you are sitting down, myself again the following week. You deserve the time to shut down and just revel in the glorious memories you have of her. I have the same size family and even though I've been to many funerals over the years, each one knocks me down all over again. Sending you a virtual hug!
-Gina-

angela@spinachtiger said...

Maya I came back to read this post. I was close to my grandmother also. So sorry to hear about your loss. I thank God every day for the people I have had in my life. I love that picture of your two hands and I hope it brings you comfort.

Unknown said...

Everyone has been so kind, I feel blessed that so many people connected with our loss because grandmas are/were very special people in all of our lives. A very big THANK YOU to all who took the time to leave some comforting words on this post. You have made it easier for me to soldier on!

Much love and hugs xoxo

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your sweet grandma. I'm sure she's smiling down on you from heaven...and admiring the lovely hearts you've placed on your cake in her memory. Sending you a big hug, my friend. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails