Foodiva's Kitchen: Secret Recipe Club - Snickers Coffee Cheesecake Brownies

Monday, October 17, 2011

Secret Recipe Club - Snickers Coffee Cheesecake Brownies

Childhood smells of perfume and brownies.
~ David Leavitt

After a two-month break from the Secret Recipe Club, I'm back with a delicious bake attributed to Frugal Antics of the Harried Homemaker, the blog of which I was assigned. Kristen, the blog owner is a fantastic mother of 5 and an even more amazing cook, as evidenced by the wide-ranging recipes on her blog. She comes from a long line of women who ran restaurants, catered, taught other people how to cook, and Kristen is no different. What I find as equally fascinating as her recipes are her Saturday Stories series, depicting multigenerational tales of her family, her childhood as well as her own Rainbow Family, as she calls it. I really can't imagine there'd be many people who haven't already come across Kristen and her blog, but in case you've been living under a rock lately, I highly recommend that you leg it over there for some fabulous food gems!




Don't you just love it when blogs have a Recipe tab or index that allows you to easily find recipes that resonate with you? Well, Kristen's blog has a pretty extensive recipe index and it didn't take me long to settle on what I wanted to make. Predictably, I headed first to the Dessert section before looking through all the rest of the other categories. Then I returned to 'Desserts' again to decide on what had caught my eye in the first place - Snickers Cheesecake Brownies. If this was how love at first sight worked, then yes, I wasn't able to shake this dessert out of my head.....the idea and image of it had that strong a grip :-). 

Oh, just so you know, my other favorite eye-candies off this blog were:
Peanut Butter Cookie Bars with Nutella Glaze
Caramel Bars

 If I wasn't just limited to one, I'd probably marry all of them (or at least, the guy equivalent of them)!


Anytime a recipe contains these three words together - Snickers + Cheesecake + Brownies - you know you've got a winner! I'm a huge fan of Snickers bars and although I try really hard to steer myself away from the Snickers counter (or chocolate, in general) whenever I'm out shopping, I do sneak it into my diet about once a month. Hey, everything in moderation does not a man kill. How I wish I have the same strategy in place when it comes to butter! 


The cake is made up of a decadent brownie layer, topped with a layer of chocolate cheesecake, topped again with slices of Snickers. I followed the original recipe to a near 'T' but still wanted a bit of 'me' in there so I added coffee to the cheesecake layer, replaced the white sugar with brown for a hint of molasses, and upped the amount of Snickers because... well, because I can, that's why!

I confess that I very nearly added Nutella and fresh ginger in there somewhere too, but managed to stop myself. Good thing I did because these cheesecake-brownie slices tasted heavenly as they were (and those other additions will have to wait for the next time I bake these!).


I chuckled when I saw this Snickers commercial because I could so imagine my kid and I dressing up in this costume for a bit of fun someday:



The Secret Recipe Club is a little like a fellowship, with each participant learning some delicious lessons from another food blogger's experience of making something in their kitchen. To see what the other SRC fellows brought to the table today, please click on any of the thumbnails displayed below.

Many thanks to Tina of Mom's Crazy Cooking for being our group's efficient and ever-cheerful host!

Snickers Coffee Cheesecake Brownies
(adapted from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker)

Ingredients:
Brownie layer
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Coffee Cheesecake and Snickers layer
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
1 (250g/8oz) brick cream cheese
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 full-sized Snickers bars, sliced into pieces

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 175F/350C and grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.
2. Combine the melted butter with the sugar and cocoa. Add the eggs and stir well. Add the flour, salt and vanilla. Pour the brownie batter into the greased pan.
3. Beat cheesecake layer ingredients together in a mixing bowl until very smooth. Spoon over the brownie batter and carefully spread to the edges of the pan.
4. Arrange the Snickers bar pieces all over the batter. Bake for 35 minutes (if you are using a glass pan, lower the heat to 160F/325C). Remove from oven and cool, then place in the fridge for a few hours before serving.



Desserts, Chocolate, Coffee

38 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Oooh, I need these in my life ASAP. I can't imagine anything better!

Melanie said...

Oh my, what is not to love about these little gems?!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the kind words. I am so glad you liked these!!

Trisha said...

These are completely to die for. I'd so love a piece of this right now!

The Chocolate Priestess said...

I like the two layers, adds a more elegant twist to the brownies.

Lacy said...

Wow these look amazingly delicious!! Love the sliced snickers (on top of the cheesecake, on top of the brownies) ;)! It all sounds fantastic!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

These look crazy delicious!

Taryn said...

These look amazing!! I've made brownies with snickers before, and they were awesome, so I can only imagine how they'd be with the cheesecake layer too!

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Mmmm! I love the idea of baking with a Snickers bar! So so yeeeeummy!
Jo-Anna

TinaRBK said...

Thanks for pulling this tasty recipe out-love the layers-yum! My favorite coffee is snickernut, so this is perfect-definitely a winner of a recipe. Great post.

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Come on! Pu-leeese, your killing me. I love Snickers and I'm putting these on my to do list (which is extremely long btw) My SRC post will be up next week..
Take care.

Erin said...

WOW! These look amazing!!! I just pinned this one so i can make it later. Thanks!!!

Ana Helena said...

Yes! All the good stuff in one bite:)My kind of treat. Thanks for sharing!

Miz Helen said...

What awesome Brownies, I can't wait to make this delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing and it is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
Miz Helen
Southwest Corn and Potato Soup

Ei said...

Gimme, gimme, gimme! Those look awesome.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

That first photo is to die for! I have a similar recipe for totally addictive Symphony Bar Brownies posted on my blog. They are such a crowd pleaser.

Great SRC pick! Hope you'll stop by and see my reveal.

:)
ButterYum

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Actually, they're not quite the same... mine don't have a cheesecake layer, but maybe the next time I make them they will (wink-wink).

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Foodiva, you spoil us! Again!

Unknown said...

What a super idea

Hezzi-D said...

These look sinful! I'm going to have to use milky way bars instead of snickers, but I'm sure it'll be just as delicious!

Unknown said...

The brownies look great.

Unknown said...

Goodness! too much of a good thing can be wonderful indeed. This is a great example of that. Yum!!

Andi said...

These are beautiful, You had me at snickers. I think this has to be a upcoming recipe for me. nice post and photo's andi

Gloria Baker said...

these look absolutely tempting and delcious!! gloria

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks yummy lovely post Maya

Gina said...

Good choice going with the snickers! As if I haven't eaten enough cake this week, I somehow would like brownies, stop it you temptress. Hope you are having a great week.
-Gina-

Anonymous said...

Not only do the brownies look amazing, but I'm a HUGE fan of Kristens....and her Saturday Stories are pure poetry.

Your snickers commercial inset was BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing and I'm happily buzzing this one...for the recipe AND great content!

Thanks for a fun read!

Roxana GreenGirl said...

These should be banned! My waist line definitely doesn't need to see them!
Now, how can I get them out of my mind?

Lisa~~ said...

My goodness those look wonderful, I need some!

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Anonymous said...

What perfect Snickers squares! Yum!

Patsyk said...

Love the additional layers of chocolatey goodness in these squares!

Yummy SRC post!

Amy said...

Yum! Looks great! Fun to participate in SRC with you!

Lilly said...

Oh gosh…what are you doing to me! You’ve got me craving for these brownies and the stores are closed already. Darn, reminder to myself…don’t go to your blog late at night.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

What a great idea, Snickers in Brownies! I have done Snickers in cupcakes and my husband loved them (his favorite candy)!

Thanks for being a part of the SRC, Group B, I love being your host (new assignments coming soon)! My recipe was for Frozen Breakfast Burritos. Check it out if you haven't had the chance already, I know I am a few days behind (sorry!)

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/10/frozen-breakfast-burritos-secret-recipe.html

Vivian Thiele said...

snickers and brownies and cheesecake, oh my! Great SRC choice

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Ha ha cute commercial. And what a killer dessert you picked yep brownie, cheesecake and a candy bar will do it. It looks awesome. I do not know her blog so off to explore a bit!

Desi said...

Your brownies are seriously so pretty! That's one lovely stack right there! I saw these on Kristen's blog when she originally blogged about them and instantly bookmarked them. I want, I want! Great SRC pick and nice to be cooking with you :)

Chelle B said...

These look so delicious. I would love to give these a try sometime. Great SRC pick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails