Foodiva's Kitchen: Muffin Monday - Basil Lime Olive Oil Muffins

Monday, October 10, 2011

Muffin Monday - Basil Lime Olive Oil Muffins


I'm back on the Muffin Monday wagon this week, and what a delicious and healthy recipe we were given to try out. Our host,  An of Baker Street provided one of Giada De Laurentiis's recipes to make Olive Oil Muffins. As much as I think butter rules when it comes to baking in general, olive and coconut oils do come in as equal seconds.



Flavorwise, I fancied the muffins up a little by adding fresh purple basil leaves and substituting lime zest in place of the lemon. The basil made its distinct presence known without being overpowering, and that suited me just fine. The orange and lime zests provided the right amount of citrus-ness to the muffins and tied the flavors all nicely together. I included almonds as per the original recipe but mine were chopped whole almonds instead of slivers, and they guaranteed a pleasant crunchiness to the muffins.


Brace yourselves because I made another video (a more subdued version to the previous one) in case anyone out there thinks these yummy muffins are beyond their baking capabilities. LOL, you know I'm just kidding, right? In case you're wondering, in this video I made half a batch and baked them as mini-muffins.



These tasted delightfully light and refreshing. While I was making them, I thought the basic olive oil batter could be adapted to incorporate various other flavors. Chocolate comes foremost to my mind, but you could add ginger, cinnamon, black sesame, apple, pumpkin, coffee, etc. in there...although not at the same time, and the muffins would taste as wonderful. Definitely a great way to start the week with!


Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week. 

Basil Lime Olive Oil Muffins
(Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons lemon zest (I used lime zest)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves*
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons whole milk
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (I used whole almonds, chopped)
2 limes, sliced thinly for decoration*
Powdered sugar, for sifting (I left this out)

*My additions to the original recipe

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/350F.
2. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
3. In a medium bowl, blend together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Using an electric mixer beat the sugar and eggs in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in the vinegar and milk. Gradually beat in the oil.
6. Add the zests and basil and stir.
7. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
8. Crush the almonds with your hands (for sliced almonds) as you add them to the batter and stir until mixed.
9. Fill the muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners. Top with tiny slices of lime.
10. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the muffins onto a platter and let cool for 5 more minutes. Sift powdered sugar over the muffins and serve.




Desserts, Muffin, Olive Oil

31 comments:

Baker Street said...

Love the combination of basil and lime! And you added a video! YAY!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Very nice muffins! I love the cups you used. need to try this video thingy but only when you give us a full shot of yourself and not just your hands, or are they your hands......hmmm
Take care...

Kate @ Food Babbles said...

Wow!! I love your variation on these muffins. I actually considered using basil as well and now will need to try your version. And I must say I am totally in LOVE with your muffin liners!! Where did you get them? If you could email me where I could find some like them I'd be eternally grateful :) Great muffins!!

Anonymous said...

THe muffins look stunning. I love love love the yellow tea pot and plate. Lime and basil- how interesting.Video is cute :-)

Linda Harding said...

Love your styling with the muffin liners, and the yellow teapot! Mmmm, basil and lime sounds like a seriously delicious combination!

elena @3greenonions said...

I absolutely adore those liners and the teapot!! I added chocolate to my muffins but those chunks of lime look gorgeous!

Yuri - Chef Pandita said...

Love the muffin cups, the flavor pairings and the video! :)

Marta (Princess Misia) said...

oh my! How cute are those! I love the little lemon piece on top! And you have the most adorable muffin liners too! :)

Jocie's Mom said...

Gadorable! I love the little lime pieces :) Hooray for muffin mondays!

Buzzed

TinaRBK said...

Citrus and basil do make for a tasty combination and how creative of you to use lime (I see a lot of lemon) which is pretty unique in my book. These really do look like something I would enjoy eating!
Lovely presentation also, I envy your photo skills as well as awesome props. Well done!

Gina said...

Happy Muffin Monday! I was worried about you with that big knife there, lol. I love the bit of lime wedged on the tip. I love that purple basil, every time I get to the Asian market I pick some up.
-Gina-

Unknown said...

Hello, Foodiva!

Happy Monday! I love your take on the muffins, very adventurous. I always take the safer route, I admire you for that! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the savory!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

These are such such delightful photos Foodiva- I love how you've presented these delicious morsels!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Nice combo of flavors and the video is just awesome. I love the little cups!

Carolyn said...

Ah, I was wondering why I was seeing two olive oil muffin recipes back to back. I love it though, I love the take of both yours and the ones I saw on BakerStreet. Yum!

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen said...

Your muffins look so plump and powerful, and oh soooo delish! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Oh wow! What an amazing combination, these sound so delicious and your pictures are fabulous! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great video! I actually posted my first today - and it was REALLY rough! I also noticed that you have your iPad with you for recipes...I do the same, too!

The muffins look amazing and I've buzzed it!

Oh - one other thing - terrific pictures!

Stay At Home Chef said...

Mmm...basil and lime must have been a GREAT flavour combination. Great idea! Happy Muffin Monday :)

S.V. said...

The flavors in the muffins sound great. I love that you keep making videos :)

Lora said...

Gorgeous flavorful muffins. Yum.

Carrie @ poet in the pantry said...

Basil and lime? Fantastic! Almost like a mojito muffin. :)

cornercottage said...

Aww! They look lovely! Love the little muffin cases!

Nancy said...

Hi Maya! I love that you did another video, it looks great and I love the music and title. I wish I could chop almonds like you, Haha mine always go flying all over and not safe for this klutz. These little muffins are so cute and love the savory flavors. These are going on my list to try. Hope you are well:)

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking muffins lovely flavour in this Maya

Wok with Ray said...

I love those muffins with slice of limes on it -- cute! I wish I could make video like you did but I can't. My hands are camera shy! I hope you are enjoying your week, Maya! :)

Erin said...

This is a very interesting flavor combination for me wit a muffin! It looks gorgeous. I could love to try one of these!

Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen said...

Muffin Monday-- love it!

Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen said...

Muffin Monday-- love it!

Let Me Eat Cake said...

love the basil and lime in these muffins great idea and i bet and wonderful flavorful combo, i'm definitely going to try this combo next go around with baking olive oil muffins!

Related Posts with Thumbnails