Foodiva's Kitchen: Cooking from the Heart - Peppered Mango-Raspberry Torte

Monday, June 7, 2010

Cooking from the Heart - Peppered Mango-Raspberry Torte




I entered the Cooking from the Heart Competition which was held in conjunction with the Brunei Halal Expo sometime in May, not expecting much but was surprised to find out that I was one of the finalists! It was the first cooking competition held on a national level, and even though I didn't win (this time!), all the finalists recipes and sweaty faces will be compiled into a cookbook due out this September.

My entry was in the Dessert Category and was named "Peppered Mango-Raspberry Torte" with the curious ingredient of not mango, not raspberry but crushed black pepper! Well, I just wanted to put that extra ZING! in it. Although the pepper isn't distinguishably tasteable (ie. you can't really taste it), there is that "hmm... what's that??" thought that enters your mind when you eat this.

Since I'm now a Foodiva with a bit of time on my hands, I decided to make another one of these for my close friend, let's just call her Ah Moi. I mean, what else can we do with ALL those mangoes in the garden?? It's similar to living in that animated town in the movie, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", except in our case it's "Cloudy with a Chance of Mangoes"!

These are the simple ingredients. No eggs required!


Here is the finished dessert - just like a layered sandwich but much better!


A close-up of those buried raspberries

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails