Foodiva's Kitchen: Instantly Gratifying Mango Donuts

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Instantly Gratifying Mango Donuts


Certain smells are hard to forget. More often than not,  they leave an indelible imprint on the psyche. The first whiff of rain that rises off the hot earth, for instance. Freshly cut grass. A freshly-bathed baby. The scent of cardamom. Hot laundry. Jasmine flowers in the evening. Ripe mangoes. And ghee. There are several others, of course, but this is a food blog and we shall try not to let everything - for want of a better word - hang out.


So, mangoes. And ghee. Why this combination? Well, mango season is well and truly here right now and at every market I've been to, the strong, sweet smell of mangoes seem to linger in the air. The mango trees in our garden are also starting to shower us with their bounty and subsequently, the whole house is also starting to smell of mangoes too. Not that I'm complaining, this is a once-a-year occurrence that gives me the opportunity to try out various mango-containing recipes. Lots of mango recipes!


 Good for you - mangoes and clarified butter :-)

As for Ghee, it smells good, it's delicious, it's healthy. Ghee is butter that's been clarified - it's pure butter oil, without the lactose and other milk solids. In Ayuverdic medicine, ghee is considered the ultimate cooking oil, with diverse mind and body benefits. Apart from helping in absorption, it also promotes digestion, healing of scars and mental functions. So you think I need any more convincing?

Prevalent in Indian cuisine, ghee is highly aromatic, flavorful and versatile. Its uses include sautéing foods, in baking, deep-frying, or even as a spread. I'm not sure why I don't use ghee more often. Perhaps I normally associate it with savory dishes like biryani rice or flatbreads, and not much else. So I decided to experiment and actually bake with ghee today. And what better to start with than donuts? Mango donuts at that. Mini mango donuts. Oh yeah.


If there's one thing that's better than traditional yeasty donuts, it's instant, no-yeast donuts. This recipe makes really light, tasty donuts and is eggless too, an extra bonus. Unfortunately, it's not sugarless and the donuts are fried...but hey, we've got to leave some vices intact, right? The sweet mango flavor was quite distinct and came through in both the batter and the glaze. I used the highly aromatic Alphonso mango variety, but you can use others as long as they are very ripe and soft.

Once the mango flesh is pureed, it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish (or ending up in your mouth). Now that, my friends, is called instant gratification! 

Instantly Gratifying Mango Donuts
Mango Donuts
Makes: 14 mini (2-inch) donuts
40g/1½ oz Ghee or clarified butter
40g/1½ oz caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup mango purée (Alphonso mango)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
170g/6oz self-raising flour
Cooking fat or oil for frying

1. Prepare a pan of hot cooking fat or oil.
2. Cream the Ghee, sugar and salt. Add the mango puree and vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in the sieved flour and mix lightly to form a smooth dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured board, roll out fairly thick (approx. ½-inch) and cut into donut rounds with a donut cutter. If you don't have one, just stamp out smaller round holes in the centre of each round. Carefully place in pan and cook for about 1 minute, turn over when half cooked and cook the other side. Drain on paper towel and leave to cool before glazing.

Mango Glaze
1/3 cup mango purée
1 cup of icing sugar/confectioner's sugar

1. In a small bowl, mix the sifted confectioner's sugar and mango purée until well smooth.
2. Dip the fried doughnuts in the glaze and place them on a serving plate, glaze side up. Leave to set on the counter. Once the glaze firms up, the doughnuts are ready to eat.

39 comments:

Carolyn said...

Mangos. And ghee. In donuts. Together. Oh so brilliant! I envy you, with your rain of mangos. Can you send a few my way?

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I think I've never seen a recipe for donuts that wouldn't contain yeast :) I love the photo where you use the donut cutter! Great recipe, and let me tell you that you're so lucky to have mangoes in your garden, I envy you! I love all the exotic flavors you use in your recipes :)

Anonymous said...

These are perfect summery donuts! And mangos, gosh, I sure love my mangos. We bought some mango juice (pulp) last night and I made freeze pop out of it.

Unknown said...

Carolyn, I wish we were neighbors because I'd certainly share my bounty with you. When the fruit gets too much to eat all by ourselves, they get sent next door, and the door after that (all down the street, in fact!). I can tell you, our neighbors love our fruit trees as much as we do ;-).

Unknown said...

Alina, these are not like those soft, fluffy donuts with yeast. They're more scone-like in texture but lighter, and great eaten slightly warm as the mango flavor comes through in the glaze. Funnily, I put some in the fridge and when eaten cold, the mango flavor was more pronounced in the donut batter itself!

Unknown said...

Elle Marie, I love mango popsicles! And mango ice cream. In fact, they'll probably make an appearance in this house soon ;-). Oh, there goes my diet but these mangoes have got to be used up!

Three-Cookies said...

I reckon you should have deep fried it in ghee. Apart from helping in absorption, it also promotes digestion, healing of scars and mental functions.:) But seriously I have tried stuff deep fried in ghee and the flavour is special

Unknown said...

Three Cookies, you're right, I should have. I did think about it...but didn't want to be accused of being TOO healthy ;-).

Tiffany said...

Mango donuts!!!! I can TOTALLY see how these are instantly gratifying!

Raji said...

Totally agree with you Maya..the fragrance of ghee is divine...in fact ghee is an important factor for imparting delicious flavour in many of the Indian dishes...our lentils and flat breads are incomplete without a generous drizzle of ghee...my mom makes the ghee at home but here I just buy it.
These donuts are driving me crazy..these are eggless and without yeast..what more can I ask..and the mango glaze..mmm...bookmarked.

lena said...

they sound so unique to me! i also just saw a recipe in a book making donuts with no yeast..i guess it may bot be as fluffy as the yeasted ones but i wld still like to give it a try soon!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen said...

These sound absolutely INCREDIBLE! I want to try this! :)

Mama's Gotta Bake said...

Yes you are a diva. I never heard of mango donuts in my life. They look amazing and I will give it a try. There are wonderful mangoes at my market now, just not sure about the ghee!

Isabelle @ Crumb said...

I am so jealous of your mango trees... oh, what I'd give to have the option to just step outside my back door and pick a fresh, ripe mango! Sigh.
I normally can't bear to cook with my precious mangoes because they're so awfully expensive, but I might just make an exception for these gorgeous donuts. That mango glaze alone sounds positively drool-worthy.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Maya, you are genius! All of our family LOVE mango...and donuts...who dislike sugary donuts! ;-) I heard about Ghee from my Indian friend and I was going to check out Indian store for this. Now I see the package and I feel more comfortable what kind is available! I'd love to eat these with a big cup of coffee (with no sugar). Hehe.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

I also want a bunch of those for breakfast when I come visit! They look sooo good, and I'm imagining the flavor.. Ohhhhh!!

Harvesting for Life said...

Oh my Heavens... You had me at Donut... HAHA!! Love this, will totally be trying this soon!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I would give almost anything to experience mango season like you do. Wow, so jealous. And the donuts...too cool. I made some once too the no yeast way. I bet your disappeared fast.

Sandra said...

Ohh I just gained 10 lb while looking at your mouthwatering pictures..I love love love each and every one of them..so yummy and creative flavor!!!

Victoria said...

I too avoid frying whenever I can, but times like this, when mango donuts are on the line, I say fry away, Maya, fry away! What a great use for your bounty of mangoes :) Could totally go for some right now.

Unknown said...

Nami, I hope you find and get to try Ghee. It made the donuts taste so much better!

Unknown said...

Jenny, come here during mango season! Otherwise, we can just make other fruit-flavored donuts...the possibilities are endless!

Unknown said...

Evelyne@CEE, yes they did! Disappear fast, that is. ;-)

Unknown said...

Sandra, and I gain 10lbs every time I go over and visit your blog! I guess that makes us even, right? ;-) Hope you had a lovely break with the family.

Unknown said...

Victoria, I really like your rationale about the frying part. That's why you're my kind of food blogger! ;-)

PFx said...

It's true about somethings you mention about "hang out", or I frequently say 'lingers'.

I truly love mango and blessed with a dad who owns a mango farm.

Donut and mango! that's too sinful to be true?!?! It would be my chosen flavour in any donut stores.

Unknown said...

Pierre@PFx, your dad owns a mango FARM? That is just too cool! With all those mangoes, I'd open up a bakery featuring mango-flavored goodies ;-).

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, wow, these are gorgeous, Maya!!! Perfect donuts, perfect glaze...perfectly flavored.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Mango donut..OMG! That is just insanely awesome.

Roxana GreenGirl said...

Maya, these are just perfect. I love mango and can only imagine how heavenly these donuts taste.
Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Lizzy, in short, they're perfect! LOL. Thank you :-)

Unknown said...

Penny, they were also insanely delicious, gurl!

Unknown said...

Roxana, thanks. I love mango too but right now there may be a slight mango overload in my household! Still, I shouldn't complain... I'll miss the sweet, sweet aroma when they're gone in a few weeks ;-).

Tadka Pasta said...

Some of my favorite things all together in one. Love that this recipe is instant, that it has mangoes inside and out and what can I say about the ghee..Saw these on YBR and had to come over :)

Jessica said...

I just saw your donuts on YBR roundup and they look SO amazing. I love the mango glaze! It looks like perfection!!

Nancy said...

It's really amazing what emotions or memories certain smells can stir in us. Mangos and Ghee I have great sensory memories of. You've done it again, when are you opening your own desserts place? Because you should and you'd sell out on everything really fast. Thanks for participating in the YBR & Have a great weekend!

Nancy said...

It's really amazing what emotions or memories certain smells can stir in us. Mangos and Ghee I have great sensory memories of. You've done it again, when are you opening your own desserts place? Because you should and you'd sell out on everything really fast. Thanks for participating in the YBR & Have a great weekend!

Dara said...

Saw you on YBR - these look divine. Mango is such a creative and innovative flavor for donuts!

Unknown said...

The donuts are so cool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails