Foodiva's Kitchen: Fruit From My Homeland 2

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fruit From My Homeland 2


I bought these red fruits from the stall just down the road from my house. Ever curious, I asked the lady selling them what they were and she said they were wild fruits from the forest, though she couldn't tell me what they were called - she just couldn't remember the name. Ok, I clearly have less of a clue than her but I bought them anyway just to try them and I hoped they didn't have unpleasant side-effects or worse, some hidden poison if I didn't prepare them in the right way (much like the Fugu fish dish!).

I tried Googling but no luck as the fruits were currently nameless to me, and typing "red fruits, rainforest" just didn't conjure the same images. So if anyone out there knows what these red fruits are, please put me out of my misery and TELL me!

Anyway, to cook them, the old lady instructed me to peel the red skin, halve the fruit and discard the seed, then pour boiling hot water over them and cover for about 5 minutes until they are cooked. They taste like kembayau (below) or canarium odontophyllum, which is a fruit unique to Borneo and especially Brunei.

The delectable kembayaus

2 comments:

Speakeasy Kitchen said...

Any luck finding a name for them? I've heard Google does image searching too...

Unknown said...

No luck yet! How do I search in Google if I don't know what these are called?

Related Posts with Thumbnails