Foodiva's Kitchen: Fruit From My Homeland 1

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fruit From My Homeland 1


Something else brought in from my garden yesterday morning, this luscious jackfruit or nangka. I can't wait till it's ripe, in the meantime, the jackfruit aroma fills our kitchen. The exterior of the fruit is not edible, but when this fruit has turned from green to yellow, the flesh and seeds are ready to be eaten. For the uninitiated, the ripening jackfruit has an odour which has been compared to the smell of rotting onions. What? Really?? If that's the case, then I love the smell of rotting onions....

The jackfruit tree is impressive in size and can grow to roughly 60 feet (18.29 m) tall. I bet you didn't know that the fruit itself is the LARGEST fruit in the world, did you?. It can weigh up to 80 pounds (36.29 kg) and be up to 3 feet (.91 m) long! That's slightly more than half my weight and height, peeps and I'm not exactly dainty.

When the jackfruit is opened, you can see numerous sweet, banana-like bulbs, and most people (me included) find them quite delicious. Some jackfruits have a crunchy rather than mushy texture, and can be used in desserts, salads and even as a savoury dish. Once you're done eating the flesh, don't throw away the seeds for they can be roasted or boiled and taste somewhat like chestnuts.

One thing I definitely don't enjoy doing is cutting and preparing the jackfruit as it's very sticky and "glue-like". Most people oil their hands to prevent some of the stickiness from transferring to their hands, but washing up afterwards is still a chore. Even though the fruit tastes heavenly, the smell, yes the SMELL of the rotting onions stay on your hands for quite a long time... eeewwww.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails