Foodiva's Kitchen: Muffin Monday - Honey Pineapple Olive Oil Muffins with Lime Glaze

Monday, March 19, 2012

Muffin Monday - Honey Pineapple Olive Oil Muffins with Lime Glaze


These week's muffin recipe for Muffin Monday is another easy one, if you have a bowl, a spatula and a muffin tray, you're all set to make these. The original recipe provided by Anuradha of Baker Street (our host) was for Honey Lemon Olive Oil Muffins with Lemon Glaze but I decided to switch it up a little and substitute the lemon flavor in the batter with pineapple, and in the glaze with lime.

I baked these in the evening and only 5 muffins survived for the photoshoot the following day! 

I have baked cakes and muffins with olive oil before and loved it. Having it in baked goods reminds me a lot of the breads and cakes of the Mediterranean region, ones I could eat truckloads of :). Thank goodness then that I reside far away in the tropics (where there are other, different food-related sins!).  From what I know, the combination of olive oil and tangy citrus are complementary flavors in cakes, so I reasoned that switching one citrus for another would have the same effect.


I opted for the more tropical citrus accents of pineapple and lime, both of which I have in abundance either growing in my garden or from the vegetable stall down the road from my home. The chopped pineapple bits were divided into two portions, one was mixed into the batter and the remainder was sprinkled on top of the muffins for effect. You won't get perfectly smooth muffin tops as a result, but there's no chance of mistaking these pineapple muffins for anything else! 

Pineapples from my local vegetable and fruit guy (L) and limes from my garden (R). 
Limes photo taken from my Instagram account :)

A quick half an hour is all you need to produce these beautifully light and refreshingly tangy muffins. If you have an extra 10 minutes, you might probably want to make the cute toppers shown here using toothpicks and bits of lime and pineapple. Squeeze the lime on top of the glaze for that extra zing and while you're at it, why not pretend you're on on a tropical holiday! ;)


Note: Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop her a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.  


Honey Pineapple Olive Oil Muffins with Lime Glaze
(Adapted from Pinch My Salt)
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey (preferably local)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (I used 3/4 cup pineapple chunks, cut into small cubes)
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice (Omitted this)

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick baking spray or line with paper cups (spray the inside of the cups with baking spray to prevent muffins from sticking to the paper).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate medium bowl, combine honey, sugar, olive oil, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk together until well combined. Divide the pineapple chunks into 2 portions and stir 1 portion into the mixture. Reserve the rest of the pineapple for the topping.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until all of the flour is incorporated. Don’t overmix.
5. Divide batter between muffin cups using a large spoon or mechanical ice cream scoop – the cups should be mostly full. Sprinkle remaining pineapple on top of the muffins.
6. Bake for 17 – 21 minutes or until the center of a muffin springs back lightly to the touch or a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Check early and watch carefully, they will brown fast.
7. While muffins are baking, make glaze. Sift powdered sugar in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice, mix until well incorporated.
8. Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack. Brush the tops of the muffins with glaze while they are still warm. Let cool completely.

25 comments:

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

I'd need a margarita with one of these ;)
Nice to see you back!!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Oh, yum! I want to try this!!! a "spring" muffin!

Koci said...

Those muffins look so yummy! I bet the pineapple and lime give them a great bit of fresh zing. And you've totally made me want to try olive oil in baking. It sounds delicious!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

These look so moist and fabulous, Maya! YUM!

TinaRBK said...

I just saw the post on Baker street and I knew you would apply some of your creative skills to the recipe. I love the tropical twist you put on these! They really look hard to resist. With the warmer weather I find myself craving citrus more than chocolate and these would hit the spot!

Unknown said...

I would like to start every Monday with a delicious muffin like one of yours, love the pineapple/lime combination;-)

Nancy said...

Every Muffin Monday see on your blog, makes me say to myself that I'm going to join. Sadly I just couldn't commit. So instead Muffin Monday will be spent ogling at your muffins. Love the idea of pineapple, olive oil and limes. Great recipe Maya!

Sandra said...

Beautiful Muffins Maya..I wish I have my own lime:))Great photos, and amazing recipe sweetie!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I love muffins, we always have a stock in our freezer! I have a different olive oil muffin printed to try, but these are going to have to make the list too! Love all the citrus fruity flavors!

Kiri W. said...

What a cool idea! I love that topper :) I don't like pineapple, personally, but I can appreciate the beauty of these muffins :)

Shoutforfood said...

I am glad I found your site, I am drooling over at each and every recipe ...

Priscilla @ShesCookin said...

Muffin Mondays are awesome - just wish I had one! Love the tropical flavors and the use of olive oil :)

www.you-made-that.com said...

Yum, can't resist muffins and with such great flavors plus a glaze, I'm sold.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I wish someone bakes muffins for me every Monday. =) Maya, the shiny lime glaze is too delicious to look at in the morning, and I just ate breakfast. My husband loves pineapples and I bet he never had pineapple muffins. I'm keeping this recipe, thank you! :-)

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

love your take on this muffin! pineapple and lime sounds like an awesome combo!

Kate @ FoodBabbles said...

Love these muffins! I bet the pineapple in there was amazing and so tasty and then the lime glaze just completes them. YUM!

jean (Lemons and Anchovies) said...

I like the pineapple and lime combination--so fresh and spring-like--and I agree that olive oil and citrus in baked goods go so well together, too. I completely understand why only 5 of these lovely muffins survived the night. :)

Isabelle @ Crumb said...

I'm so very jealous that you can walk into your back garden and just pick those gorgeous limes! Lucky, lucky you.
Pineapple and lime is one of my all-time favourite combinations... so fresh and tangy and sweet, all at the same time. Love it.

Aarthi said...

muffins looks mouthwatering

Maureen said...

Muffins with hats! What a muffin celebration. :) They look delicious!

Lora said...

I just love all the flavors you put together for these luscious looking muffins. Wow!

Gina said...

Yes, all is right again in the world. Missed my Monday muffins. Getting groceries is next on my agenda, I better add some pineapple to that list, huh. So glad to be amongst the humans again, lol. Guess what- my new kitchen has a pot filler, what can I say it's the little things in life that excite me, lol.
-Gina-

Baker Street said...

Pineapple is such a fantastic addition Maya! Muffins look spectacular.

Liren said...

I'm amazed those muffins made it to photograph time! It's a vacation in a baked bite :)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

These muffins are so cute with the little pineapples pieces :) great as an afternoon treat with a cuppa tea hehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails