Foodiva's Kitchen: Muffin Monday - Hazelnut Plum Muffins with Lemon Curd Frosting

Monday, March 5, 2012

Muffin Monday - Hazelnut Plum Muffins with Lemon Curd Frosting


I love quickies in the kitchen, I mean, who doesn't? :) Now, before your mind races off into the gutter, I  invite you to come back up to the same page and hear out this easy and quick recipe for Muffin Monday, Hazelnut Plum Muffins. Our MM host, Anuradha provided us with this recipe that can be mixed simply by hand and utilizes hazelnut meal and plum jam which give the muffin its namesake.

Nowadays, it's hard to think of hazelnut in a recipe without wanting to include Nutella in there somehow. Well, I fought my instinct and went for the plain hazelnut flavor without any pesky chocolate sharing the limelight. Okay, I was only kidding about the chocolate...it can never be pesky and can only make any recipe immediately taste better. But not today, I had to be firm with the chocolate-obsessed part of my brain. :) 


I also decided to leave out the plum jam (but only because I didn't have any) and substituted that with soft dried plums or prunes. I pressed one of these gently into the middle of each hazelnut batter before baking, not knowing for sure if they were going to sink or rise. As you can see, they rose and sat quite magnificently atop each muffin! Which meant frosting was going to be a slight issue....

Until, that is, I spotted a jar of lovingly-made Mrs. Darlington's Legendary Lemon Curd that would be perfect for spreading on top of the muffin and around the plums. And it was... The sweet, tart and creamy curd complemented the roasted, buttery hazelnut flavor rather nicely. You can bite around the muffin underneath the curd then end up chewing the plum last. At least, that was how I ate them!

Happy, happy Monday!


Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week!

Hazelnut Plum Muffins
(Adapted from Women's Weekly)
Ingredients:
90 grams butter, melted
21/2 cups (375 grams) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (55 grams) hazelnut meal
2/3 cup (150 grams) caster sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1/2 cup (160 grams) plum jam (I used soft, dried plums instead)
1 cup lemon curd, for frosting

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan or line with muffin liners
3. In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, hazelnut meal, sugar, egg and milk.
4. Spoon half of the muffin mixture into the prepared pan and make a well in each muffin, spoon in rounded teaspoons of jam and top with remaining muffin mixture (I simply pushed one dried plum gently into the middle of each  muffin batter before baking).
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Leave to cool for 20 minutes before frosting with lemon curd.

26 comments:

Baker Street said...

Oh my! That lemon curd frosting sounds heavenly! your muffins look fantastic Maya!

Unknown said...

Thanks, An. Loved this week's easy recipe, even my little one can do this on his own! The lemon curd topping was divine!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

Seriously, lemon curd frosting?! Yum! Great idea to just slather it on top of these muffins. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

What fantastic flavour combinations. Lemon curd would have tasted divine on top of those delish muffins. I think it was wiser to have chosen the prunes instead of the jam. Yours is the healthier version.

Kirby said...

lol whats with the lemon curd? sounds interesting. the photos looks yummy, no doubt its perfect for my muffin cravings. :)

Maureen said...

Lemon curd frosting? I'm in heaven! I've got one more jar of home made lemon curd in the fridge and this is a fantastic idea. Thanks!

STAY AT HOME CHEF said...

What an inventive adaption of the recipe...I love it! The lemon curd must have been incredible. Happy Muffin Monday :)

Unknown said...

Happy Monday to you too Maya. Those muffins look so good and with the lemon curd, simply yum.
I just created a twitter account recently and I've followed you. Looking forward to your tweets.

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

OMG the lemon curd looks amazing!!! :) Do you know if we'll be able to get it anywhere else~

I really like it when you post your 'Muffin Monday' recipes :) It always makes me want to bake hehe

Kate @ FoodBabbles said...

Wow! Love the addition of lemon curd on top. Deliciously brilliant!

wok with ray said...

You're photography is always amazing, Maya!

Dianne@Maids said...

In all the class of muffin this is the best, the looks make me want to try it so yummy!

createwithmom said...

deliciously done looks wonderful

Lilly said...

I love what you did with the lemon curd! Reminds me that I need to make another batch.

I can surely use one muffin right now!

Culinaire Amoula said...

Lovely muffins!! Miam Miam...

May said...

i love muffins , my kids will surely love this kind of flavor
thanks again.

Cooking Rookie said...

wonderful muffins - how delicious they must be :-)

Tasty Trix said...

Isn't lemon curd a wonderful thing? I know, I know ... it is a sweet that I actually quite enjoy. Could eat it with a spoon!! Pretty muffins. : )

Jade said...

Good! you always amaze me with your work, very impressive.

Vicki Bensinger said...

These look so scrumptuous. I love how you have that little plum stuffed inside. Little Jack Horner would love these!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments, guys. I haven't been able to go round to everyone's site these past few weeks so please forgive me. Doesn't mean that I haven't read each and every one of your comments here though and truly appreciated that you took the time to write in :).

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

Love reading your Monday posts. It brightens up my moods. :) You rock - lemon curd frosting! And combined with plum is just fantastic.

Jocie's Mom said...

Holy moly! I'm salivating over that lemon curd frosting...Pavlov at his finest! DELISH!

Nancy said...

I do love quickies in the kitchen. Yes, I'm talking about food too:) My mouth is watering too, the lemon and plums and hazelnuts together - oh my! If only hubby wasn't allergic to baked hazelnuts ;(

Mis wes said...

awesome a legendary lemon curd looks great! im getting hungry just looking at this photos. good post!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, wow! These are irresistible!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails