Foodiva's Kitchen: Happiness is an Apple Tartelette

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happiness is an Apple Tartelette


Did you know that in Bhutan, there exists a Gross National Happiness Index? That's right, they officially rate their citizens' happiness alongside their GDP as one of several main economic indicators. Their King believes that happiness is an indicator of good development and good society, and with all the bad things happening around the world recently, I think it won't hurt for us to buy into this concept too. :-)

Bright, sunny skies almost always invoke feelings of intense happiness, at least in myself. However, the day I made these, it was raining and the skies outside were dark and grey with rolling clouds (hence the dull photos, sorry). I was determined to stay lit up inside though in the company of these wonderful Sweet Biscuit Apple Tartelettes. 

Have glass, will cut

If you remember back in February, I made a Plum Cupid's Cobbler topped with sweet cream biscuits and for the tartelette base, I simply used the same biscuit recipe. Say you were me, you'd probably make loads of this biscuit dough in one go and freeze the remainder so that whenever you feel like it, you can just defrost the cookie-like dough and make simple tart bases like this one.


I often think the easiest, simplest things can turn out to be the most beautiful things (although I may have trouble remembering this and tend to go overboard with some recipes!). Funnily enough the older I get, the more I realize how very little it takes to make me happy. And these apple tartelettes, yes definitely, just a whiff of them lifted my spirits high!


The recipe is short and yes, sweet. Have fun, stay happy!

Sweet Biscuit Apple Tartelette
Makes 8 (3-inch diameter)
Ingredients:
Sweet Cream Biscuit dough (half the Cupid Cobbler's recipe)
2 red apples
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
butter, softened

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Prepare the cream biscuit base first.
2. Place dough in between two sheets of wax paper and roll out thinly to about 1/2 cm thick with a rolling pin. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or rim of a wide glass, cut out discs in the dough. Transfer the disks onto a baking tray lined with parchment or non-stick baking paper.
3. Cut each apple into quarters and remove seeds and core. Slice each quarter very thinly using a mandoline. 4. Arrange these slices in a round, fan pattern on top of the biscuit. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon sugar over the top of each tart and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the edge of the biscuits start to turn golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and place a dab of butter on top of the apples. Let it melt fully into the tart before serving.


25 comments:

Cooking Rookie said...

I love your tartlettes - they are so simple and elegant ! And the photos are beautiful too :-). I will be following this blog from now on!

Unknown said...

Why thank you! Having them this small alleviates the guilt factor somewhat... :-). Thanks for following!

cornercottage said...

Wow, they look gorgeous! Love the way the apple fans out!

Raji said...

These tartelettes are looking gorgeous...beautiful presentation.

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

So easy yet so striking visually...and I bet the taste is just awesome. How about doing it with puff pastry...could be an idea.

Sandra said...

So Pretty!!! I love how you made this! Great presentation and photos too! Delicious and creative!

Unknown said...

Your tarts looks beautiful. I am not motivated enough to make them pretty :D

the [sugar] apothecary said...

Beautiful! I love simple apple desserts -- not overly sweet or covered in goop, but ones where you can actually TASTE the apple. Love it.

Leanna @ Raptortoe said...

How beautiful are those!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Oh Maya... the tarts look beautiful! and just seeing them makes me happy :)
Well, if you do come to the UK, let me know. Would love to meet up and eat with you.

Harvesting for Life said...

That would totally improve my happiness! haha! They look exquisite, and delicious!

Unknown said...

Thank you all!

Evelyn, yes puff pastry is a great idea too. It would make the base lighter and crisp.... Yumms.

Michael, it's a date! LOL.

Kimberley, I'm so glad to add these to your already happy life :-)).

aipi said...

OOO, that sound delicious n looks extremely elegant n classy!
US Masala

Mehjabeen Arif said...

ooh.. simple yet inviting.. love it.

New to ur space n happy to follow u for upcoming wonderful recipes
Do visit me when u get time.
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

The Weight Watcher said...

OMG, can't believe i've missed out on your blog for so long! Love your recipes, LOVE your photographs and particularly adore your style of writing!

A follower now! And looking forward to loads more of your mouth-watering posts! :)

Victoria said...

Lovely little tartlets! I love a simple recipe like this, and you definitely made them super gorgeous the way you fanned out the apple slices :)

Unknown said...

aipi and Jabeen, thanks for dropping by. I really like both your blogs!

Unknown said...

Jyothi@Weight Watcher, welcome to Foodiva's Kitchen, and thanks for following!

briarrose said...

Beautiful...I love the spray of apples across the top.

Unknown said...

@briarrose - I've never come across a spray of apples before but if I had, this was what I'd imagined it to look like ;-).

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

Happiness is reading your blog Miss Maya!!

Jean said...

These are lovely! I can never get enough baked apple treats. These win extra points for being so simple to make. Pretty, too. :-)

Unknown said...

Happiness is having my friends drop by, Miss Sugarcube!

Unknown said...

Jean, I can never get enough of baked apple desserts too! Seems that apples aren't safe in our presence... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Fab layering.. I can almost taste its crispy crust!

Related Posts with Thumbnails