Foodiva's Kitchen: Forever Nigella - White Chocolate and Passionfruit Mousse

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Forever Nigella - White Chocolate and Passionfruit Mousse

Put “eat chocolate” at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you’ll get one thing done.
Rules of Chocolate

I've always been a bit apprehensive about making mousse from scratch. I suppose the thought of perfectly fluffed-up egg whites collapsing into pool of slimy goo in the serving dish hasn't exactly encouraged me into making this delightful dessert more often. Well, that was about to change the day I made this White Chocolate and Passionfruit Mousse. Of course, the white chocolate sealed the deal because any dish with chocolate in it is instantly elevated a few notches in my biased, sweet-toothed view.

Served in frozen passionfruit shells...how's that for guilt-free portions? ;-)

Everything about this dessert, I later found out, is a study in contrasts. The richness of the white chocolate against the light texture of the mousse. The sweetness of the (again) chocolate versus the refreshing tartness of the passionfruits and plums. The pale, yellow color of the mousse set against the dark, crimson hue of the plums. The only uncomplicated thing about this dish really is the recipe, which can be found at Nigella.com. No wonder we love Nigella, and no wonder we are seduced by her...umm, ways with chocolate!


I was lucky to have come across fresh passionfruits in the market recently, so I had several in my pantry I could use to make this mousse. The original recipe also called for fresh raspberries, which of course, are near impossible to find right now so I ended up using red plums instead. The substitute fruits didn't affect the overall flavor combinations one bit and best of all, the white chocolate mousse held up. I think I may have finally made my peace with mousse...


Of course, being the unabashed glutton that I am, I made these in individual glasses instead of a large serving dish. Each glass, you may be interested to know, has a more-than-one-but-less-than-two-servings capacity. Well, it may be slightly 'less-than-three', but the point here is to divide it any way you wish to eat it. Whichever way you choose to apportion this dessert, I'm sure Nigella would approve as long as you then eat it with a knowing smile and a naughty glint in your eye!


I'm sending this post to the second Forever Nigella event kindly hosted by Sarah of Maison Cupcake. It's always fun to support fellow bloggers in their initiatives, and of course, a great way for me to see what delicacies the other participants bring to the table!

20 comments:

adorasbox said...

Love Nigella, too. Love that mousse. The contrast is what makes it exciting. Just sweet is too cloying.

Unknown said...

Adora, you're absolutely spot on. The flavor combination in this mousse is indescribably exquisite!

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

Wow, I read the recipe twice... I'm in love! Nigella's recipes end up in my kitchen quite often.

Unknown said...

Yay Nigella! Maya, this looks awesome. Beautiful presentation as always. I want the biggest serving please. :)
Have a great weekend.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Hey Maya, for some reason I always thought Divabalu and Foodiva are not connected because I normally hop over to your blog from some other blog. I am glad I came through Foodbuzz this time and made the discovery.

This dessert sounds awesome! I also have to find my peace with mousse. Perhaps like you, I will someday ;)

Sandra said...

Yumm..this is fantastic presentation Maya, and must be so delicious!

Unknown said...

Kate, as much as I love watching Nigella cook on telly, this is only the second time I've tried out her recipes... Shocking, isn't it? It certainly won't be the last!

Unknown said...

Michael, you can have the whole serving dishful! I know how mad you are about Nigella and I'm so glad that you and I are finally doing the same event :-).

Unknown said...

Biren, you're such a dear. You're correct in that Divababu=Foodiva=Me. I like to keep people guessing! *winks*

Unknown said...

Sandra, thanks much and hugs much!

The Chocolate Priestess said...

Actually if this was mint white chocolate it would be prefect for today -- February 19th is National Mint Chocolate Day.

Carolyn said...

Seriously amazing, Maya!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I love mousse but never seem to make my own, I love the flavour of passionfruit too so you've inspired me to hunt out this particular Nigella recipe, it's not one I was familiar with before. Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella!

Unknown said...

Choc Priestess, wow..that's something I never knew before! I've got to check out what other chocolate days are celebrated.

Unknown said...

Carolyn, thanks. You're the amazing one!

Unknown said...

Sarah, thanks for hosting the event. I hardly tried any of Nigella's recipe before I came across your blog, but Forever Nigella will help me change my erring ways!

Unknown said...

that looks delish. What a great challenge.

Tiffany said...

I love passion fruit! This looks wonderful!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks really good

Magic of Spice said...

Oh wow these looks so delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails