My final recipe for the International Incident Party this month was a dessert featuring two of my favorite ingredients, purple sweet potato and coconut milk. I used agar to set the different layers in place, making this a completely vegetarian dessert.
The best part of this sweet for me is the see-through topmost layer with thin slivers of purple sweet potato suspended in clear agar - it's almost like looking through a crystal ball. Use your prettiest jelly moulds to show off the colorful layers!
It's all in the layering, baby!
13g (1 packet) Agar powder
50g purple sweet potato, peeled, sliced and sliced into thin strips (mandoline)
150ml coconut milk
200g purple sweet potato, peeled, sliced and steamed
50 ml extra hot water
100g orange sweet potato, peeled, sliced and steamed
1. Place sugar and 500ml water in a pot and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Add agar powder into the pot and put stove on medium heat.
2. Stir frequently to avoid agar thickening at the bottom until everything has dissolved. Once mixture boils, the agar is ready to be added (separately) to the different flavors that will make up each layer.
3. Prepare one layer at a time and leave each layer to set until just firm on the surface before adding on the next layer. This ensures that the layers ‘stick’ together and do not separate when unmolded.
4. 1st layer: Cook the purple sweet potato strips (50g) in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Do not overcook or the strips will start to fall apart. Drain and spread evenly onto the base of a heatproof mould. Add 100ml of the hot agar mixture on top of the potato strips and leave to set for a few minutes.
5. 2nd layer: Heat the coconut milk in the microwave for about 45 seconds and add 150ml of the hot agar mixture. Stir to combine and pour half of this mixture immediately on top of the first layer. Let it set for a few minutes. Leave the other half for the last layer.
6. 3rd layer: Blend the steamed purple sweet potato (200g) with 150ml agar and 50ml extra hot water until smooth. Pour half of this mixture immediately on top of the second layer. Let it set for a few minutes. Leave the other half for the last layer.
7. 4th layer: Blend the steamed orange sweet potato (100g) with 100ml agar until smooth. Pour this mixture immediately on top of the third layer. Let it set for a few minutes.
8. 5th layer: Pour the remaining half of the purple sweet potato mixture over the fourth layer. If agar has started to harden, heat the mixture in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Let it set for a few minutes.
9. 6th layer: Pour the remaining half of the coconut milk mixture over the fifth layer. If agar has started to harden, heat the mixture in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then place mould in fridge for 30 minutes to set completely. To serve, turn out of mould and slice into 1cm wide pieces that show off the coloured layers.