Foodiva's Kitchen: Poetry Thursday #8: Green Tea Rolls With Purple Sweet Potato Filling

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Poetry Thursday #8: Green Tea Rolls With Purple Sweet Potato Filling

Poetry Thursday #8:
My life, so wonderful,
So toilsome; stressful.

Nothing to look forward to,
At least for the moment.
Reoccuring irritants,
Constant lies; deception.

Pleasure, not as pleasing,
Tastes are going bland,
The spice of life fading,
Regressing; retreating.

I ponder these things,
While sitting at the edge,
The edge of my sanity,
This foothold; ledge.

I entered this world,
To someone screaming,
Now I say the same word,
I'm begging; pleading.

Any last words?
Just fucking push already.

Push... by David Robichaux Jr. 


I might as well declare this week Purple Sweet Potato Celebration Week. For the past several days, I had carefreely indulged my obsession for purple-colored food, namely (you guessed it), purple sweet potatoes (PSPs). It all began when I'd spotted some freshly dug (still coated in soil) PSPs at the market over the weekend. Against my better judgement, I grabbed a few of the tubers, all the while scheming up something beautiful and delicious with them in my head.

Today is only Thursday, but I've already rustled up five - yes, FIVE - new recipes using my favorite purple vegetables! I suppose I'll stop only when they run out (just hoping there are no Withdrawal Symptoms!). I'm not going to extol the nutritional virtues and versatility of PSPs again, but if you're new to these lovelies and are pretty curious, click on the links below for my previous posts on these purplies:

Purple Sweet Potato Pie with Easy Oats Crust
Rockin' Pink and Purple Scones
Mont Blanc-Inspired Purple Sweet Potato Cakelets


For today's recipe, I attempted a pairing of matcha (green tea) and PSP flavors in a bunch of sweet rolls, and the outcome was unexpectedly delicious. The potatoes went very well with the green tea, the two very distinct earthy notes blended brilliantly to striptease the palate. Yes, very naughty! The success of this recipe surpassed even my expectations. And the colors, OH... So drop-dead gorgeous. Like a well-matched outfit, on a good hair day.



The three layers: green tea (roll), brown sugar and purple sweet potatoes (filling)




Experience the luscious feeli...err, filling.

Maybe these vibrant rolls will stir up some excitement on Yeastspotting @Wild Yeast and Recipe Swap Thursday @Prairie Story, where I'm sending it to!
 
Green Tea Rolls With Purple Sweet Potato Filling
Makes: 12 rolls
Ingredients:
Dough:
1 teaspoon dry, instant yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup margarine (or butter), melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
4 1/2 cups bread flour
3-4 tablespoons matcha powder

Purple Sweet Potato Filling
400g sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar

Method:
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, margarine, salt, and eggs. Add flour and matcha powder, mix well. Knead the dough into a large ball for about 5 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
2. After the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle and after that prepare the filling.
4. Assembly: Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Add the mashed, cooled purple sweet potatoes one spoonful at a time on top of the sugar. Flatten layer evenly with a spatula.
5. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls (cut side up) on a lightly greased rectangular baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/400F.
6. Bake rolls until matcha layer turns slightly brown, about 15 minutes. Leave to cool on a rack for 15 minutes before serving (careful, the filling will be very hot when it comes out of the oven!).

13 comments:

Victoria said...

Wow, these are awesome!! I've never had a purple sweet potato, but I can understand your obsession now, haha!

Roxan said...

These look a.m.a.z.i.n.g! I love anything green tea. I'm always keeping my eye out for purple sweet potato but i've never found any.

Unknown said...

Victoria and Roxan, purple sweet potatoes are not impossible to find in New York and LA. One of these days, when you find them, you'll be obsessed too! LOL.

Joyti said...

Wow! Those look sensational! Gorgeous colors and flavors, and so unique.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Joyti. My eyes (and heart) hurt to look at them! But my tastebuds are NOT complaining...

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

love the vibrant color:) thank you for sharing this.

~Lisa~ said...

I so diggin your purple sweet potato obsession. And the matcha roll is the perfect flavor combo for this dessert. I'd like to order a dozen? Where so I place my order? Its the perfect asian treat!

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

I've fallen in love with these. Green and purple are my two favourite colours, and I love these flavours too. The texture looks perfect as well. Umm, yes, pretty obvious I like every possible aspect of this recipe :D

Lisa said...

I love purple sweet potatoes more than any other kind. I've eaten them in all sorts of baked goods, but never in a roll like this. This looks like a delicious idea. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

Stormy said...

These look awesome both to the palate and the eye! I'm going to have to look for some of these purple beauties. Quick question: is the flavor sweet or more like a potato?

sokeleng said...

I like this sweet potatoes bun. It is healthy and yet delicious. My husband ( meat eater) also like this bun a lot. I did slightly differently from yours. I added 2 TBS honey into the mash potatoes, to make the paste become sticky. Shape the mash potatoes like sausage and cover it with seaweed. The final step is wrap it up with dough and proof in it eclair cases

Gina said...

How in the hell did I ever miss these? Forgive the swearing, I just got that excited. I have the matcha powder, now I'll have to find some of those purple sweet potatoes. These are a tease, and you know I shouldn't have read this before bed, lol. I'm going to have purple and green sweet roll dreams.
-Gina-

yoomi said...

I just made these and they are magnificent! You have a great blog, I am having a blast checking out all your recipes! Oh and while I'm at it, I also made your Matcha swirl bread with kit kat... Wonderful!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails