Foodiva's Kitchen: Poetry Thursday #2 & The Evil Twin of Cinnabon

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Poetry Thursday #2 & The Evil Twin of Cinnabon

Poetry Thursday #2:
There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein 

My friend LAZsie had a craving for chocolate last week and challenged me to a baking "project" (subtext: can we have some free food, please?) with chocolate as one of the ingredients. Not that I minded, it's no secret that I already had a number of good, chocolate-laden recipes in my trusty cookbook, but I really wanted to try something new. New to me, anyway.

Luckily for her (yes you, madame!), I'd been meaning to attempt baking cinnamon rolls for a while, and I thought this was a good opportunity to finally do it. Of course, along with the cinnamon filling, I'd planned to add a generous amount of chocolate. Although not too generous that the cinnamon gets washed away by the chocolatey-ness. No, I still want them to get along really well and be a gorgeous-tasting couple. An  attention-grabbing couple too on the weekly red carpet world of Yeastspotting (to which I'm submitting this post! LOL).


All that brown sugar, cinnamon and chocolate. I could just faint!

It didn't take me long to surf and locate the best-looking cinnamon rolls on the internet. From the drippingly delicious pictures to the number of people who have tried this recipe, I decided Memoria's (of Mangio Da Sola) cinnamon rolls have got to be IT. And I chose wisely, for she makes truly beautiful things out of her kitchen and I also sense, out of her heart.





I wasn't disappointed with the results, and neither were my (I remind them again) very lucky friends. The dough was to die for and I would definitely add more chocolate in the filling when I bake these again. Biting into one these evil Cinnabon clones, I was immediately taken to that place where the sidewalk ends. *smiles*

Below is Memoria's recipe. Have fun!

Evil Twin of Cinnabon: Chocolate-Cinnamon Rolls
Makes: 12 rolls
Ingredients:
Dough:
1 teaspoon dry, instant yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup margarine (or butter), melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
4 1/2 cups bread flour

Chocolate-Cinnamon Filling
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
100g good quality chocolate, shaved
(NB - I used this Cadbury's Marble chocolate)

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 package (250g) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Extra chocolate shavings, for sprinkling

Method:
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, margarine, salt, and eggs. Add flour and mix well. Knead the dough into a large ball for about 5 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
2. After the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle and after that prepare the cinnamon-brown sugar-chocolate filling.
4. Chocolate-Cinnamon Filling: Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Lightly roll the mixture into the dough. Shave the chocolate on top of this layer.
5. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. (You can leave these overnight in the fridge at this point. Take them out of the fridge 60 minutes before you bake them). Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/400F.
6. Bake rolls in a preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then add icing sugar gradually, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

12 comments:

Monet said...

I am so glad that I found your blog. I love how you started your post with poetry...what a great idea! And how can you go wrong with delicious, yeasty cinnamon rolls...especially with chocolate thrown into the mix!

Unknown said...

Monet, I'm a great fan of your stories too. I've been following your blog because I always want to know what's next! Thanks for your kind words, I can't write poetry to save my life but I do enjoy them!

Larissa said...

Wow! I've been meaning to make cinnamon-buns forever...but the addition of the chocolate just motivated me!

Unknown said...

Newlywed, I agree. Chocolate makes everything taste better, and your dishwasher might thank you for these evil buns!

Nancy said...

Lovely poem and delicious Cinnabons! They look so good, I can't stop looking and drooling. I want one, wait better make that two :)

Unknown said...

Nancy, here have three! LOL.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Oh my God, my stomach actually roared with hunger when I read this post. I've been hoping to make cinammon buns for a while as well but it just hasn't happened yet. It was a sign because I think I'm destined to make your chocolate version :)

Karen said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Those are some cinnamon rolls! I think your mission was accomplished!

Tupper Cooks! said...

My oh my- those are some serious looking buns- wicked, wicked pic on top- got my heart beating faster. I'm figuring if I make these and bring them in for the co-workers I'm a hero- thanks for recipe!

Unknown said...

Azmina, and I'm destined to make your perfectly triangular samosas!

Karen, LOL.

Tupper Cooks, go on, make them and be a hero! Thanks for dropping by. :-)

Jan @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. said...

ohmygawd! i should have seen this before i made my cinnamon rolls a couple months back. then again, this is a welcomed sign! who cares if this is the devil in my diet? your chocolate-cinnamon rolls are real temptations i can't resist! :) they look so yummy!

Heather said...

Those look AMAZING!

Related Posts with Thumbnails