Foodiva's Kitchen: Super Simple Steamed Crepes

Friday, August 6, 2010

Super Simple Steamed Crepes


Oh, I saw you re-reading the title. Is that right, what she wrote? You read it correctly the first time and it does say "steamed". And yes, it's crepes that are being steamed, which can only mean two things: no skillet and hence, no skill required to flip it. Hooray! I was totally sold on the idea of making crepes this super-easy way and good thing I have a steamer at in my kitchen, eyy?

A gazillion years ago, while I was still at Uni, one of my dorm mates, Vincent, had declared one morning a Crepe-y Sunday (hello, Hangover!) and that he was going to make those of us who were fortunate enough to wander into the kitchen at that moment the best crepes we were ever going to taste! Of course, he was French and so we had to pronounce his name "Vahn-saunt" or something to that effect. Him being French made us believe that the crepes would live up to his heritage. Well, he certainly didn't disappoint - his crepes were excruciatingly delicious, fillings and all. That very day marked my exposure to the most authentic, thin, crisp, mouthwatering Crêpe Suzette. Thanks to Vincent, he had spoiled me for other future crepes to come into my life!

But steamed crepes, honestly? It's nowhere close to the fantastically precise French crepes - it's thin but not paper thin, it's light and fluffy but no crispy bits and edges, so why the hell would I even want to be putting up this recipe? Three words --> No. Messing. Up. This crepe cousin does not demand that you toss it up, expect it to execute a somersault in mid-air and land perfectly on the skillet while it's being cooked! Is that a good reason enough for you? It is for me. *winks*

Goes well with whipped cream, cherries, maple syrup and yes banana (peeking out). Also chocolate!

The taste of the steamed crepe is delightful, its texture soft and light, a thinner version of the luscious breakfast pancakes and a lot healthier. If you want to, you have my absolute permission to go crazy with the toppings and filling. Hey, life is short after all, and you bend the rules where you can (and where it doesn't hurt).

Here's the recipe:

Steamed Crepes
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour

Method:
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, then fold in sieved flour until combined.
2. Spoon the batter and form round shapes on non-stick baking paper in a steamer tray. Steam for 5 minutes, remove paper from steamer and leave to cool.
3. Remove the crepes from the paper, add filling and fold it in half before drizzling syrup or chocolate on top.

Happily steaming away


Yeah baby!


6 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I had no idea you could steam crepes...but it would make sense, and I can see why they were so light...I bet they were easier to work with too!

Indonesia Eats said...

That is cool. I thought only cake and brownies can steam

Unknown said...

Dennis, you bet they were easier to work with. Well, I had no idea you could make crepes this way too, and the good thing about not having any culinary training (and not really knowing the rules) is that I'm not afraid to try anything!

Unknown said...

Pepy, I didn't know you could steam brownies!! LOL! Now I do.

Unknown said...

Interesting recipe, looks delicious. I like your steamer, must be a pretty healthy way to cook. Now, I'm curious to see what else you're going to cook in there:-)

Unknown said...

Patty, let me give it a thought. Normally, only fruits, vegetables and fish get to see the inside of my steamer. And now, crepes! I need a BIGGER steamer for more ambitious projects!

Related Posts with Thumbnails