Foodiva's Kitchen: Chocolate Flax Seed "Bomb" Cakes

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chocolate Flax Seed "Bomb" Cakes


Now that it's Ramadhan, numerous foodstalls selling many types of cakes, sweets and savory foods have been set up at various places in Brunei. Ironically, during the fasting month, deliciously prepared dishes seem to abound everywhere in preparation for the breaking of fast at sunset. I suppose the abstinence from food makes us think about it the whole day! Well, I can't speak for others but that's what happens in my case...

One of the more popular sweets sold at these foodstalls is called Bomb Cakes or "Kuih Bomb" in local lingo. They're sesame-covered balls containing a sweet filling but are not in actual fact cake-like in texture. No, they don't explode in your mouth as you bite into them either! I'm not really certain about the origin of the name, but I presume it came from the fact that the balls have a tendency to explode and splatter the (hot) contents everywhere if you happen to fry them in very hot oil. So remember, always low heat.

As mentioned, the outer part of the balls are traditionally covered in sesame seeds while the filling can be anything from red bean paste, or peanut paste to sweet, freshly grated coconut. I, however, wanted a modern take on these bomb cakes and my natural love for chocolate means that this ingredient would have to be incorporated in there somewhere. Why not chocolate as the filling, and hey, while we're at it, why not make the ball chocolate-flavored as well? Okay, so I'm guilty of choc-addiction but I did make one healthy concession - I covered the balls with flax seeds. I thought the nutty taste of flax would complement the chocolateness of the dough and filling, and I wasn't off the mark.

This is a very simple recipe, you only need a bowl and your hands to mix all the ingredients together. The balls are best eaten while still warm because you'd want to feel the sensation of melted chocolate oozing out of the ball as you bite into one. A word of caution, this is definitely NOT a first date food! (Although I must say, if your date's really into you, then he/she will probably find the messiness quite adorable).




Chocolate Flax Seed "Bomb" Cakes
Makes 8-10 medium sized pieces
Ingredients:
140g glutinous rice flour
1/2 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
120 ml water
100g chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
about 50g flax seed, enough to cover cakes
oil, for frying

Method:
1. Mix together rice flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. Slowly add water onto the mixture and knead flour with your hands until it becomes a soft dough. It should be slightly moist but not sticky. If the dough is too dry, a little more water.


2. Take about a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball between your palms. Flatten it into a disc, then place chocolate in the middle and seal up the dough well. Shape it back into a ball, then roll in flax seeds until the entire ball is covered.



3. Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan (I filled mine with enough oil to just come halfway up each ball). Deep fry the balls over low to medium heat, about 3-4 minutes until the flax seeds turn golden brown. Place cooked balls on paper towels to drain excess oil, and serve while still warm.



9 comments:

Indonesia Eats said...

Very much looked like onde-onde with new twist

the constant hunger said...

Oh, my goodness. Chocolate oozing out? I need to make these.

Unknown said...

Pepy, you're right! It's fried onde-onde, chocolate flavored with a healthy concession, the flaxseed! Btw, I really liked your layered Indonesian flag sago cake. I've never tried to make that before but now you've inspired me.

Unknown said...

Alina, make these! This is almost like baking, but a whole lot easier... ;-)

Unknown said...

that looks fantastic. The chocolate oozing out... yum... I'm so glad you can't see me drooling all over my computer screen. hehe.
Have a great one. Michael

Unknown said...

Michael, drooling all over my computer is my favorite pastime too, especially when I look through your blog! Lol.
You gave a great weekend too!

Baking Barrister said...

These are awesome! I can imagine them with nutella or dulce de leche or candied nuts in the middle.

Unknown said...

Wow, now that you mention it..... Nutella, Dulce de leche or candied nuts are brilliant choice of fillings! All three inside one bomb cake would be good too. LOL.

Jean said...

These are neat! What tasty little treats! I agree...I can see these with Nutella, too. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails