Funnily enough, ever since Ivanka Trump tweeted that this was one of her favourite dishes (not that she actually cooks it, of course. She has people to do that!), I've been wanting to try it out. Maybe my inner psyche was in actual fact wanting to experience what it must be like to be Ivanka, even if it's only through this one dish and even though I have to cook it myself. Sigh...
Luckily, she had posted the recipe up on her FB profile, so off I went to the kitchen to ahem... be Ivanka's chef, and later on, her. Lol! At least she has a good head on her shoulders and is a great role model for women everywhere.
1 large (1 inch thick) cod fillet (or you can use sea bass, halibut, even grouper)
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 lime, squeezed
Ground pepper salt
For the crusted topping:
2 tblspn grated Parmesan cheese
2 tblspn butter
2 tblspn plain yoghurt
½ cup breadcrumbs
For the carrot flowers:
1 medium carrot, grated thinly lengthwise
1. Preheat broiler/oven to high.
2. In a small bowl combine parmesan, butter, yoghurt and set aside.
3. Chop the garlic and shallots and mix together with the grated ginger. Set aside.
I love the smell of fresh ginger!
This one's just after being grated, with the fibres standing upright at the top.4. Season fillet with lime juice, salt and pepper, then place it on a lightly greased broiler pan. Sprinkle garlic, shallots and ginger mix over the top and broil 6 inches from heat for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and spread cheese mixture on top of the fillet - top that with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
6. Return to the oven and broil for about 3 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and bubbly. The breadcrumbs burn easily so do keep an eye on it.
7. While the fish is cooking, prepare the carrot flowers. Use a potato peeler to thinly slice carrot strips along the length of the carrot.
8. Arrange carrot strips in a microwave egg poacher (below), spoon in the egg white that has been separated from the yolk and season with black pepper. If you don't have this poacher kitchen gadget thing, just use a shallow bowl.
9. Microwave for about 1 minute and it’s done. Take this out and arrange on top of each other to form “carrot flowers” and serve with the crusted fish fillet.
I retired to the dining table and ate this accompanied by some iced jasmine green tea laced with lime and raspberries.